Propeller

Propeller

Propeller

Tittle

Wednesday 18 July 2018

I thought it was a dead dog - Nigerian doctor celebrates once malnourished child

Nigerian doctor, Betta Edu recently shared a heart-felt post about little Christy




- Dr. Edu saved Christy and her teenage mother who she met on the brink of survival
- Dr. Betta celebrated the young child who is now three years old and healthy
Not all heroines wear capes. Dr Betta Edu is one woman who has saved lives and recently had a reason to celebrate the work she believes God has sent her to do on earth. In a recent post shared on Facebook, Dr Betta, Director General of CRSPCDA narrated the story of little Christiana Etim and her then 16-year-old mother, Esther Etim Effiom.
Looking back, she revealed that when she first met Christy she mistook her for a dead dog lying in a dirty environment in Ikot Ekpo Axis of Calabar during a Maternal and Newborn Child Health Week.


Upon realising it was a malnourished child, her heart broke in several pieces and she decided to change the story of the child and the mother. On July 17, little Etim clocked three years of age and together with classmates and family, she was celebrated with love and compassion she deserves.

Like yesterday I clearly remember when I thought it was a dead small dog lying on a dirty veranda. I told the state nutrition officer who was with me on a community sweep seeking for malnourished children, that we will not go into that compound because I don’t want any rabies infected dog to bite me since one was dead already another could be by the side.

God had you in mind Christy it was your day for rescue! “My Son said no madam, that is a dying child not a dead dog” we were 2 compounds away! The minute I heard dying child, my blood ran cold and I walked over to her. At first I wondered how a woman will let her child die in her very face, until I met the mother who was only a teeneger and was equally struggling to stay alive, I knew immediately that this was the real reason God brought me there, to save Christy and her teenage mother Esther.

Naij.com

No comments:

Post a Comment