Propeller

Propeller

Propeller

Tittle

Monday 16 March 2020

Childhood Trauma Made Me A Philanthropist – Damorich


…My Iyalode Title Was Predestined

Agege Pulse

The popular saying that there is no smoke without fire could well be used to describe the personality of Alhaja Khadijat Oladunni Adeyemi, the CEO of Damorich Stores after struggling through spike of life to prominence.  Known as a cheerful giver with penchant for seeing children and less privilege make it in life, she was recently  installed as Iyalode of Orile Egbiri Land amid wide celebration. In this interview with AgegePulse, she speaks on the rationale behind her personality, her ever-growing business, relationship with Elephant Club of Ogba and other issues of interest. Excerpt….

You recently distributed school sandals to primary school pupils at the 20th anniversary of elephant club, what informed this gesture from you?

That was my little contribution to the good work Elephant Club is doing being their matron. They said they wanted the 20th anniversary to be memorable for pupils of the eleven schools (24 students each) they invited, I felt the little school needs that God used me to donate will go a long way in that regards. What really motivated me were the students that did debate, if parents really take time to send them to school, the world will know that the poor are really trying. They really impressed me, and I pray God will protect every one of them.

 How did Damorich store start?

That's a really serious question. I lost my mother about twenty five years ago; I was a little bit younger. Without my mother, no one else, would cater for me. My schooling stopped along the way too. I had to do menial jobs to provide for myself. I've served as a house help in many places before. I hawked “Moi Moi” and several things for survival. One day, I met a lady who is now my co-worker in Gbagi, her name is Abimbola. I explained the reason why I was hawking to her, I told her about how hurt I was, most especially from my step mother. So, she introduced me to buying and selling of foot wears, there was a slippers called “Bata China” in those days. I started buying in two dozens including some clothes. However, Damorich came about after someone I helped betrayed me at the company where I was getting the 'Bata China'. I got demoralised but when I got home that night, I explained everything that transpired at the resolution meeting with the Chinese people to my husband. I asked him of the company name to use if the Chinese company calls me, he smiled, took pen and wrote down our names. His name is Adedamola Richard. After writing his name, we just concluded that it should be DAMORICH. We started officially fifteen years ago.

Tell us your name and your background.

My name is Alhaja Khadijat Oladunni Adeyemi, the CEO of Damorich Store. I was born in Isolo, Lagos State. I'm a native of Ibadan.

What is Damorich Store's mode of operation?

At Damorich Store, we are three in one. We sell whole and retail sales, and we encourage people who want to venture into the business as much as we can.

How was your growing up like?

Growing up was seriously rough. My mother died twenty five years ago; can you imagine the age I was back then? Think of what I would have passed through, the sufferings. My education stopped in primary four. The pains I passed through was the reason behind my philanthropic personality. It is the reason for my excessive love for children and the less privilege. I don't want people to suffer. If God do more than this for me, I will really help a lot people. Bye and large, I thank God for what he has done for me.

You were recently crowned Iyalode of Egbiri Town, tell us about this traditional title

The title of Iyalode has been predestined for me. I have been rejecting the title of Iyalode for the past three years. It was first given to my father's elder sister, her name is Elizabeth Adigun. It would have been better if a day like that happened in her lifetime. When I wanted to become the Iyalode of Orile Egbiri, Ojokoro LCDA, people were afraid, they told me to quit that it's more than me, but I told them the title of Iyalode has been predestined. Let's thank Almighty God.

Apart from Agege, tell us about other branches of Damorich Store
To the Glory of God, we have many branches.

 It is my prayers that those managing the branches work harder as we are doing in Agege - Headquarters.

What is Damorich's staff strength?
Our staff strength is about thirty (30).

What can you say about the ongoing construction of Pen Cinema Flyover Bridge?

It is one of the best thing that can ever happen to Agege and environs. It is just that human beings are insatiable. If government didn't do anything, we will complain, now that they are doing we are still complaining when we ought to be enduring the pains for tomorrow's gains.

How is the ongoing construction affecting your business?

I know that this bridge will bring progress to the market. It will make Agege cynosure of  all eyes. Also, the driving convenience that the bridge will bring, will endear more potential customers towards Agege.

Tell us about one of your funny experiences in life.

It is definitely my hajj experience. A lot of people didn't believe I will go to Hajj because of my workaholic nature. Personally, I doubted it too. When I first paid for Hajj, I asked for a refund and I used the money to buy car. I paid the following year, I requested for refund as well as. One day, I just sat down and thought about it that I was beginning to play God on my destiny. Later, I went to Hajj in the month of October when foot wears are bestselling, I mean selling fast because that is when children are planning to resume school. It was indeed funny because whenever, I remember till date, I just smile.

What is your projection for Damorich in five year's time?

My utmost projection is that in five year's time, Damorich Stores should have become manufacturer of foot wears.

Message to your customers and people of Egbiri

I appreciate the people patronizing Damorich Stores because if not for them, there will be nothing like Damorich. May God infinite mercy be with them always. I thank Baale Adegboyega of Orile Egbiri, may you live long. Ever since I've been the Iyalode of Orile Egbiri, they have been giving birth to set of twins and mine is coming (laughs…). I really appreciate everyone of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment